Legal Jargon: 8 Terms You Need to Know if You’ve Been Injured in a Car Accident


  1. Lawsuit
    If you’ve been injured in a car wreck that you were not at fault in or only partially at fault in, you may be able to file a lawsuit, which is a complaint against another party, to receive compensation.
  2. Settlement
    If you agree to settle in a car wreck case, you’re agreeing to give up the possibility of a lawsuit or other action in exchange for an amount of money that is acceptable to you and the other party. This is common in car wreck cases.
  3. Statute of Limitations
    You don’t have forever to file a lawsuit. In Tennessee, starting on the date of your car wreck, you only have one year to file a lawsuit.
  4. Alternate Dispute Resolution
    This is a way to resolve a disagreement such as the amount of money to be paid without going to court. It is often accomplished through arbitration or mediation where a neutral third party, uninterested in the outcome of your case, helps both parties reach an agreement.
  5. Plaintiff
    The injured party who is filing suit.
  6. Defendant
    The party against whom the plaintiff, or injured party, is filing a claim.
  7. Car Accident Attorney
    An attorney who specializes in car accidents can help you get compensation for any property damage that resulted from the accident, along with any injuries you suffered as a result of the car accident.
  8. Car Accident Attorney Fees
    Fees for car accident cases are contingency based. That means you do not need any money up front for The Lawyers of Brown & Roberto to start working for you. It also means that we don’t get paid unless you do.

If you’ve been injured in a car wreck, the last thing you want to do is try to sort through a bunch of legal jargon to figure out what your next step should be. At The Lawyers of Brown & Roberto, we would be happy to help you navigate the system and take the work off of you so you can focus on recovering and receiving the compensation you are entitled to. Please give us a call at 865-691-2777 or contact us through our website at to set up a free consultation.

, , , , , ,

Comments are closed.