Injured At Work, What Are Five Things You Should Do Before Calling A Lawyer

Injured At Work, What Are Five Things You Should  Do Before Calling A LawyerWCImage1

Tennessee’s Workers’ Compensation Law has gone through significant changes since 2014 and now it’s far more difficult to prove your case if you’ve been injured at work than ever before.  Those who have been injured at work, may need an attorney to guide them through the process and it’s normal to have a lot of questions.  Remember that the insurance company isn’t looking out for your best interest, that’s up to you.

When you have been injured at work, what are five things that you should do before calling a lawyer?  Keep in mind that the Tennessee Workers’ Compensation statute is complicated and if you have questions you should speak with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer, but before you make that call, here are five things to do:

1. Report your work injury to your supervisor as soon as possible:

Tenn. Code Ann. Section 50-6-201 gives you only 15 days to provide notice to your Employer of the injury or your claim is no longer payable.  In other words, if you do not promptly notify your Employer of the injury, you could lose out on any and all workers’ compensation benefits.  Your attorney cannot undue a problem of notice to the Employer.

2. Keep a copy of all correspondence that you have had a with the workers’ compensation insurance company:

Your attorney will need to know who to contact about your benefits including their address, phone number, and the claim number assigned to your injury.

3. Collect your wage information:

Workers’ compensation benefits are based upon your average weekly wage for the 52 weeks prior to your injury.  If you have a pay stub or tax information to provide to your attorney, that will help him or her determine your average weekly wage.

4. Be prepared to discuss how the accident causing your injury occurred and where you have treated for your injury.

The insurance company may ask for a recorded statement after you report your injury.  If you have been injured at work, and the adjuster wants to take your statement, it’s a good idea to speak with a workers’ compensation lawyer before your statement is taken.

5. Request a written panel of physicians to treat your work injury:

You are entitled to a panel of physicians, so don’t let the insurance company steer you towards a particular physician.  It’s a very good idea to review the physicians list with a workers’ compensation lawyer before making your selection. Bring a copy of that panel to your attorney.

If you have been injured at work, the Lawyers of Brown & Roberto are here to help.

, , , , , ,

Comments are closed.